Re: Demented Demeanor

> Judith Robins wrote:
> [snip, snip by KS]
> ...The phrase, "a willing unfettered attitude with the public", is in itself
> a thing of joy.  But again, somewhat lacking in object.  Surely the writer
> does not mean to suggest that public servants should have a pleasing
> demeanor?  Heresy!... [snip, snip]

Kim Scott added:

> Judy, I always figured that it would be a sad day when someone coming into
> my reading room would figure they got better service in the local Safeway...

Amen.  I was talking to someone the other day who had been
in a Southeast Asian country to help train workers in a fast-food
franchise.  He said things went well once they understood that
customers are not an intrusion, they're the point . . .

I have a lot of faults, but lacking a pleasing demeanor when dealing
with our users is not, I hope, among them.  A lot of our users are
first-timers or extremely 'naive' older people, and the last thing they
need is grudging assistance.

(Which is not to say that Judith recommends such!)

Ed Frank