Re: Advice needed

To answer Thomas Berry's question:

On all public information about the collection, I would not
include information on donor or how acquired.  In fact, I
would not even list the name of the company as the donor.

But in internal office-only records, I would document every
aspect of the donation including a signed, perhaps even
notarized, statement of the archivist (Tom's story) of how
he got the collection, the name of the person, etc.   This is
one of those sensitive areas ... however Tom can document
that the person who had authority at the time granted permission
and gave (e.g. transferred title) at that time.

This is one of those fine ethical problems.  Do you destroy history
to appease a person?  Or do you preserve history, defending that
action, when everything is not all cut-and-dried?   I've found in these
situations that people come and go but history is unique.  And if
you can document what happened, even if it is only your word as
the archivist, usually you will get support when push comes to
shove.   The key is not to do anything that might precipitate the
latter.  (publicity, title names, etc.)

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338