Friday Funny Tidbits

1.   I've been asked to give a light talk to a local national
family reunion.  My topic (which you're welcome to steal)
is:   Reasons to Vote the Genealogist Off the Island or
adventures of a librarian/archivist amidst the jungles of
family history.    I will NOT be mentioning Don Akklad.

2.   We're having a luncheon with a legislator.  Under questions,
I thought about asking the rumor that the Florida State Legislature
will be renamed the Tribal Council and new laws will no longer
say "be it enacted that" but start off as "The Tribal Council Has
Spoken."

3.   Akklad's diatribe about archivists at BPL not giving him
the correct information reminds me how often I get patrons
who are rabidly insistent that we have something in our
collection because the "friend of a friend of a cousin whose
son once used your library" told me you had it!    Sometimes
these are TRUE but it takes some digging in pre-computer
typed inventories ...and somtimes these are PARTLY TRUE,
where the information has gotten twisted during the game
of "telephone."    I once used forms for people to evaluate
whether we had served them.   Many of them said "no" which
was interpreted negatively on our service....but under what
they were looking for were such notations as "microfilm of
Czechoslovakian archives" and "motorcycle repair manuals."
Obviously I no longer use the forms.    I keep wondering how
many comment cards come into restaurants so dissatisfied
because the Mexican restaurant did not serve egg rolls.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338