Re: Don Saklad Tribute Pages

>I have a great deal of sympathy for the staff of the BPL.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the staff of the BPL, who have had to field numberless e-mails and whatnot from Mr. Saklad.  Nevertheless, I  devoutly hope that they are not behind the "Tribute" pages.  I did not find them "funny" at all, but an abuse of the power of the Internet.

Sally Gibson

>>> Jacquelyn Saturley <saturlej@LIBCOOP.NET> 09/08/00 11:57pm >>>
Mr. Saklad does not need anyone's help to destroy his reputation, he has
done that much himself. After seeing his many postings over the years, most
people would reach one conclusion -- not altogether complimentary to Mr.
Saklad.

I thought the web page was funny and it provides a valuable lesson to us all
about privacy on the internet. The internet is like a public bulletin board,
and if a listserv, usenet group, etc., archives its messages -- anything you
post can be retrieved. I had the email address of a prominent
lecturer/writer in a field and I wanted to see what the "experts" were
discussing. I was shocked to find a posting from this particular person on
how much he hated his wife and wanted a divorce. He should have known better
as a professional in the field, but there for all the world to see,
including his wife, were personal confessions of a marriage gone bad. Just
think, most everything you do on the internet can be traced and stored for
eons, and if it were put together with your financial/personal/consumer
profiles, what would not be known about you???

I have a great deal of sympathy for the staff of the BPL.

Jackie