Gifts to academic units

 At my institution we have had an increasing number of gifts of papers
and/or  memorabilia to academic units rather than to the Special
Collections/Archives.
I would like to hear from other C & U archivists as to how they are
dealing with this problem. We have had instances where units want us to
house collections but insist on maintaining "ownership" of the material.
Compounding the issue is the fact that often donors or estates are
involved. My position has been that we will not accept material
without a deed of gift to the Archives, not just to the institution at
large or to another unit, but I feel I am fighting a losing battle. Does
anyone have any policies regarding this?

 Steve Fisher
 University of Denver