Re: Advice needed - again

Tom - it would appear you have 2 or 3 accessions:  (1) all the stuff you
bought; (2) the literature donated from the sales rack; and (3) what the
owner's wife donated.  I wouldn't count the horse trading you did, since
you gave as good as you got (hopefully).   Since it sounds as if you
basically rescued (2) from the trash, you could combine (1) and (2) and
count it all as "stuff acquired at auction"; however, if this is someone
who would be honored to be acknowledged, then maybe you should keep (2)
separate.  In any case, you really should keep (3) separate, especially in
light of the tax receipt.  Hope this helps lighten your load - ttfn - Jill.

Jill (loves Kim's tag lines) Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://tundra.wr.usgs.gov/wrmrsAK/

                    Thomas Berry
                    <tberry@WCNET.ORG>          To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     Advice needed - again
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    09/11/2000 01:30 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives &
                    Archivists

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier request for advice on a donation
that was posing problems.  Well, you ain't seen nothing yet.

A local equipment dealer went out of business, and an auction was held of
all their property Saturday. I bid successfully (on the Archive's behalf)
on
three lots of repair manuals and parts books and passed on a fourth. After
the sale, I got to talking with the buyer of the fourth lot. It turned out
that each of us had manuals that the other needed, so we did some trading.
Each of us ended up with what we really wanted.

Another man bought the display racks off the showroom floor. I
introduced myself to him and asked him what he was going to do with the
sales literature on the racks. He said that if I wanted it I could have it,
so I accepted it.

Today, while I was boxing up all these manuals, the wife of the
dealership's
owner stopped in to see how things were progressing. We had a very pleasant
discussion, during which she said there was lots more sales literature and
other materials in the offices that hadn't been sold. She asked me to make
an offer on it, and took my offer of $50 for the lot. Then she asked me to
give her a receipt so she could take a tax deduction on what she was giving
me. We worked out what I was buying as opposed to what she was giving us,
so
there are no problems there.

What has me baffled is how to account for all this on our end. This is
where
I need your help. How many accessions should this be considered to be -
one,
as if we had bought the whole thing, or several, with what we bought and
the
goods from the two other bidders and the owner's wife's donation counted
separately? Should the two other bidders and the owner's wife be
acknowledged as donors separately from what we bought outright?

And you thought my last problem was strange . . .

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086