Republican vs. Democratic Cooking

Oh, yes! For Democratic cooking, see:

Author: Nesbitt, Victoria Henrietta, 1874-
Title: The Presidential cookbook; feeding the Roosevelts and their guests.
Imprint: Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1951.

Mrs. Nesbitt made quite a stir in her time for her --um--unsophisticated style of cooking (e.g., a salad made of tomato soup with gelatin added). She also, during the Depression, prided herself on developing and serving cheap meals (e.g., $0.17 per person) at the White House. Historians have suggested that perhaps Eleanor kept her on as housekeeper and cook as revenge against Franklin for his affairs. People have been quoted as saying that if they were invited to dinner at the White House, they would eat before they went.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

(note change of address as of May 2000)
Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(914) 451-1757 or (845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> jill koepke <jkoepke@HOTMAIL.COM> 09/12/00 09:53PM >>>
Hi Michele,

I do know that the Rare Book department of the Burton Historical Collection
at the Detroit Public Library has the cookbook collection of the Saunders.
I believe they are known for their good chocolate.  I did an inventory of
that collection when I worked at the DPL.  I remember coming across a
cookbook titled "A Cookbook for Republicans."  I did not know that
Republicans had a diet very different from Democrats. :) The general phone
number should be (313)833-1000.

Jill