Job Announcement - LSTA Grant

>>The University Library at California State University, Northridge is
being awarded a LSTA grant to establish the San Fernando Valley History
Digital Library.  This is a one year grant project.  All funds must be
spent by September 30, 2001.  We are now accepting applications for two
postitions for the project.  Unfortunately, we just learned about the
grant award, and need to hire asap.  There are no funds for travel for
interviews or moving expenses.

>>Would you please post and/or pass the job announcement along to any
qualified candidates for the positions.

>>Announcement:

JOB DESCRIPTIONS

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY HISTORY DIGITAL LIBRARY PROJECT

LSTA GRANT

Purpose of Project:  The San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
project assembles, digitizes and makes globally available historically
significant documents, manuscripts, photographs and related graphic
materials from a host of archival collections in the University
Library's Special Collections and Archives, and related collections at
the University.  The project will also digitize a number of images
borrowed from local historical societies.

Funding:  The project is being funded through the Library Services and
Technology Act (LSTA) for one year.  A grant in the amount of $153,298
was awarded to California State University, Northridge for this digital
library project.  All monies must be spent before September 30, 2001.
There is no funding for travel (interviews or moving expenses) as part
of this grant.

Starting Date:  Project will commence on October 1, 2000 or as soon as
possible thereafter.

Project Director:  Tony Gardner, Curator, Special Collections & Archives

Project Manager:  Robert Marshall, Head Archivist, Special Collections &
Archives

Project Archivist, Research Technician II:  The Project Archivist is
responsible for identifying and assigning descriptive and subject terms
and narrative for each image selected for scanning.  As leader of the
project team, the archivist will work with members of Special
Collections & Archives and the San Fernando Valley Historical Society
Network in the initial selection of images and documents for the digital
library. This person will also supervise the work of the Project
Technician and will need to be able to scan and enter images in the
selected database.  The Project Archivist reports to the Project
Manager.  This is a temporary full-time for one year.

Project Archivist, Qualifications:  Subject background in California
history, particularly the San Fernando Valley, graduate course work in
archival methods and theory and familiarity with 19th and 20th century
photographic prints, familiarity with subject thesauri, such as the
Library of Congress List of Subject Headings.

Project Technician, Research Technician I:  The Project Technician will
report to the Project Archivist.  The Technician is responsible for
scanning the images, creating the image files, and completing the
database record for each image and indexes.  This is either a temporary
full-time (one person) or temporary part-time (two people) position for
one year.

Project Technician, Qualifications:  Experience with data input;
coursework in California history helpful.  Familiarity with or ability
to quickly learn the scanning and database standards set for this
project.

Recruitment Pool:  The University has a nine unit sequence in Archival
Administration, including a practicum through the Department of History,
and taught by the University Library's Archivist, who is also the
Project Manager on this proposal.  The graduates from this program and a
similar archival program at UCLA are an important prospective source for
these positions.  Project staff will provide training for the two LSTA
funded positions.  Open to all qualified candidates.

Pay Scale for One-year Project:

 Project Archivist, Research Technician II  $47,374.00 ($3,948/month)
 Project Technician, Research Technician I  $39,387.00  ($3,282/month)

Application & Questions:  Applications for both positions and all
questions regarding the San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
Project should be directed to either Tony Gardner, Curator or Robert
Marshall, Head Archivist, Special Collections and Archives, University
Library, California State University, Northridge, 18111 Nordhoff Street,
Northridge, CA 91330-8326, by e-mail to robert.marshall@csun.edu or by
telephone at 818.677.2832.

--

Robert G. Marshall, Head Archivist