Temporary Archived information

I am wondering how long does one usually keep a group of temporary files?
The files deal with letters and drafts of exhibition catalogs from both
editors and authors.  We are the sponsor of the catalog and exhbition,
however all editing and authorship was done elsewhere.  We want to keep this
information only for a certain period of time for any copyright or other
issues which may arise with the authors.  Is there a suggestion for how long
is necessary to keep this information?  Should these files be divided after
a period of time and returned to the authors or editors?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Corine Norman
Archivist
Addison Gallery of America