closures

We are about to finish a new addition to our library which is long
overdue.  In the process of getting bids and construction, etc., we have
been able to place some funds into needed remodeling of the older portions
of the library.  The remodeling, especially removing of asbestos
materials, will necessitate the closing of the library except for an
extremely limited amount of space in the new addition for a summer.  We
are receiving complaints already and would like to have other examples of
libraries -- or at least portions of collections -- closing when
collections are moved, while building facilities are being remodeled, etc.

While at it, I would like to solicit letters from Special Collections
people who have had to close or severely restrict access to their
collections for periods of time.  Why was it deemed necessary to close
down or to heavily restrict access?  How long did the restricting last?
What services did you provide during that time: circulation out of
building?  extended circulation periods?  access to room use only
materials?

I ask because during the summer of 2001, when Special Collections reading
room will be inaccessible to the public, we expect that Special
Collections will be asked to provide circulation of materials which we
normally do not let out of the reading room.  We are being told that there
will not be any space available for in-house secure room for room use
onlyt materials.

In your responses, please indicate your university/college, your
collections, your name with email address.  Please also indicate to me
whether you wish to remain anonymous.

As this request may be of very limited interest to the general readership
of these lists, and as I frequently cannot deal with the immense volume of
messages on the listserv and so have set my mail at no mail, please reply
to me personally.

Jim C           <jimc@hawaii.edu>