Environmental conditions for archival facilities

Our campus planners are floating a proposal to move us into renovated
space in a building that formerly served as the campus library (vacated
when a new library opened 18 months ago).  The major tenant of the
building will be the Art Department (upper two floors).  Someone has
expressed to me some concerns about the effects that fumes from
solvents, paint thinners, paints, etc. would enter the ventilation
system and have an adverse effect on archival materials.  This had not
occurred to me.  Obviously, it would be ideal to have a separate HVAC
from the rest of the building, but I fear it will be prohibitively
expensive (I know it's not in the approved renovation budget).

Has anyone dealt with this situation before?  Does anyone know of
research that has been done on this aspect of archives and environment?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa Pruitt
Albert Gore Research Center
Middle Tennessee State University