Re: A Little Too Generous?

Jim wrote
<snip>
I was visited by a scholar from another state. This
person, without consulting us, has written a grant proposal (which has been
funded) to digitize and post on the Internet primary documents relating to
the Civil Rights Movement. She came expecting unlimited access to our
holdings, and expects the "first phase" of her project to total 10,000
documents.
<snip>

and

<snip>
I have proposed to our administration that we take this opportunity to
formulate a policy for this type request because it is likely that we will
receive others in the coming years.
<snip>

Just a couple of weeks ago I posted something along similar lines.
http://listserv.muohio.edu/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?A2=ind0009a&L=archives&O=A&P=29512

There is a growing IMHO movement amongst genealogists and local history
buffs that all archives and historical societies should digitize everything
in their collections. Unfortunately they do not understand the problems that
may/will arise. "Copyright and ownership be d*mned!" (for the genteel
amongst us) appears to be their motto. A sub motto would appear to "Get it
on the Net!" They believe that archives do not want to make the materials
accessible.

What amazes me even more is that the grant-funding organization awarded the
monies without even contacting you or your archives to see if you were in
agreement with or supportive of it. The noive of some people.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia