Re: ARCHIVES Digest - 21 Sep 2000 to 22 Sep 2000 (#2000-266)

 >This touches on something I had wondered about when I read the original
>posting. I have never seen anything from the time period in question (
>either in printed or manuscript form ) that could be described as
>"filthy" or "sexually explicit" by current standards. They just did not
>have the vocabulary. As for it being inserted by a prankster, that is
>hard to judge without seeing the originals but I am sure someone there
>could make that evaluation. No I am NOT looking for a consulting job!

> Steve in Denver

  The late Victorians may have done a lot of prudish pruning, but believe me, the vocabulary existed.  In terms of very graphic dysphemisms (the opposite of euphemisms), our descriptions are pale and unimaginative.  Shakespeare certainly wasn't above crude references and puns.  Look up some those vocabulary words in the OED and you'll be suprised at their vintage, or a lovely book called "Mrs. Grundy: Studies in English Prudery".  Certainly soldiers were never famous for discreet expression,  in any war!
  It is unusual to see them saved by descendents, though; the tradition of being embarrassed by the activities of the older genration goes back at least to Noah in the vineyard...
  We have a large collection of Victorian erotic photography, which we describe as just that.  Most people assume it's September Morn poses, but it is quite graphic.  After a few pieces disappeared despite security, we limit first access to photocopies and pull pictures individually.  The majority of users are not teenage boys, but art students looking for authentic Victorian bodies.  Our heaviest user of vintage Playboys is working on a scholarly paper on womens contributions to articles and letters.
  So the uses we envision often are way off target. Not always, but we serve the future, too.  ; )

Susan Knoer
Reference Assistant
Special Collections
University of Louisville