Re: A Little Too Generous?

Another consideration might be -- saying no to her request period.  It is
shocking that this project was funded without participation of the holding
institutions. Digitization involves so much more than making items
accessible as you have pointed out. And once digitized, there is no
difference between a copy and an original. Add to that the scanning of items
itself if not done correctly could potentially damage items and  the
increased possibility of theft if the items left your control, etc.

If you are really worried that the go ahead might be given I would argue
that you should apply for funding yourself and have a rotating display of
select objects from your archives. That way you could control resolution and
post only portions of your holdings. Or if this is your only major holding,
see if institutions with related holdings would form a "web consortium" to
apply for grant for a digitization project for civil rights material.

Archives usually have items of value, and whether we like it or not, items
of value are a commodity in this world. I would expect any institution to
take the same safeguards any business would, in protecting their assets.

Jackie