Mylar

When we encapsulate acidic items we include a sheet of buffered paper to
absorb the acid. Because buffered paper can only absorb a limited amount
of acid, we put the current date on the sheet of paper. That gives us an
idea of when the paper should be replaced, or a least checked to determine
whether it has actually become acidic in itself. I've been told that a sheet
of buffered paper can last for up to five years. As I have only been here
for a year and a half, I don't know for sure. I imagine it depends to some
extent on the type of material you are encapsulating. Naturally, if you are
working with a double sided item, this prodcedure isn't ideal.

                                                    Trina