Re: Mylar

Mylar is really best suited for encapsulation, since it is clear, non-porous and neutral.  Once you encapsulate something, however, you create a micro-environment.  If the object was not de-acidified before encapsulation, it will "stew in its own juices," since mylar offers no buffering and is not gas permeable.  For brittle items or materials that get frequent handling mylar encapsulation can't be beat, but only in tandem with de-acidification.  For storage of acidic documents, buffered or acid free folders are more suitable.  I hope this helps.

Glenn Sherman
Project Assistant
Connecticut Newspaper Project
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT  06106

>>> Readd@CSPS.COM 09/26/00 08:07AM >>>
I have a question that I thought perhaps the listserve could help me with.
The question has been raised as to the possible pros and cons of using mylar
to house old documents instead of using acid free paper or acid free folders
to file the documents.  Obviously the mylar is more expensive, but does it
really protect the documents better?  Has anyone had any long term negative
results from using mylar?

Donna Read
readd@csps.com <mailto:readd@csps.com>