Re: Plastic paper clips

I try hard to avoid any kind of paperclips, whether metal or plastic.  If I
have to use one, I use metal, and I put a narrow strip of acid-free paper
under the clip (the paper strip is folded so it covers both front and back
of the paper being clipped).  This helps decrease the pressure of the clip,
and prevents damage to the items when the clip is removed. It seems to me
that the metal clips are less bulky than the plastic, and paper(see below)
is less bulky and better for the materials than paper clips.

An alternative, suggested by another respondent, is to interfile using
acid-free paper.  If you have a group of letter-size sheets which need to
be kept together, and within the group need interfiling with acid-free
paper, use a folded 11 x 17 sheet to hold them all.  Then, use letter-size
paper for interfiling.

Depending on the situation, you can also use polypropylene or mylar
enclosures to separate one acidic or otherwise problematic item which is in
the midst of a larger group.  I use clear sleeves of polypropylene or
lightweight mylar, with open flaps (i.e. open as opposed to sealed; easier
to place items into the sleeve).  These are available in a variety of sizes
from Filmguard (<www.filmguard.com>--Filmguard and Pro-Line "brands") and
other suppliers.

Hope this helps.

Carol Edwards