Re: Mylar

Donna,
Not certain what you mean by "to house documents".  If you are talking about Mylar file folders (if such exist) I would be worried about weight, cost and possible moisture problems.  Mylar is inert and that is why one uses it for encapsulation to support fragile documents. It also prevents most acid migration from document to document.   However, Mylar has no acid buffering qualities. If one used Mylar file folders, one would be concentrating volatile acids in the material being stored if it is acidic.  Depending on storage conditions of temperature and humidity, with Mylar folders you might just be building miniature ovens to cook the documents in a nice acid bath. Acid free or buffered file folders would  prevent acid migration across folders and absorb some of the acid coming from the documents.  Just my thoughts on this and not necessarily scientific fact.  Dick King, University of Arizona
"Read, Donna" wrote:
I have a question that I thought perhaps the listserve could help me with.
The question has been raised as to the possible pros and cons of using mylar
to house old documents instead of using acid free paper or acid free folders
to file the documents.  Obviously the mylar is more expensive, but does it
really protect the documents better?  Has anyone had any long term negative
results from using mylar?

Donna Read
readd@csps.com <mailto:readd@csps.com>