Re: Mylar

Donna,
I have used Mylar Type D encapsulation film for nearly 14 years in all kinds of enclosures. The Mylar purchased from Light Impressions is independently tested through the Canadian Conservation Institute and has been accelerated age tested to a life of over 200 years. The only instances where you do not want to use Mylar are on drawingings using colored pencil, chalk or charcoal. Mylar Type D creates a lot of static electricity and this can lift these mediums off the paper. I usually use Mylar encapsulation in an instance when the document is in danger of misshaping due to an underfilled document box. In that instance, I will encapsulate the document on a piece of acid-neutral, rag mat board. I will use the double sided tape on only two sides of the board so that the document can be easily removed. In this case, the document is sturdy and will not misshapen when placed in the box. I have written directions for such an enclosure if you would like a copy.

Steve Hoza
Arizona Historical Society
Paper and Book Conservator

>>> "Read, Donna" <Readd@CSPS.COM> 09/26/00 05:07AM >>>
I have a question that I thought perhaps the listserve could help me with.
The question has been raised as to the possible pros and cons of using mylar
to house old documents instead of using acid free paper or acid free folders
to file the documents.  Obviously the mylar is more expensive, but does it
really protect the documents better?  Has anyone had any long term negative
results from using mylar?

Donna Read
readd@csps.com <mailto:readd@csps.com>