Re: Litho blocks

Holly,

I worked in small college archives in southern
Colorado once and we had a large collection of the
lithographic plates.  It was determined by the
"committee" of MLS librarians overseeing the archives,
with consultation from a printer, that it is
acceptable to store the plates between newspapers,
provided that the same sheet  of newspaper does not
have a point of direct contact with the plate on top
and the one on bottom.

The problem with this system, in my experience, is the
actual problems that arise when trying to find one
specific plate, even if they are catalogued and a nice
picture is drawn of where they are in the stack of
plates.  Of course, as we all know, the patron always
needs the plate at the bottom!

Russell D. James
student, public history
The University of West Florida