Re: Glass Audio Albums?

Bobbi,
I had a similiar task several years ago. I had to fly with my boss to Boise to pick up over 100 glass plate negatives that I had to pack (some we hand-carried on the plane) and bring back to Phoenix. I used the same kind of foam that we use to line our shelving with (virgin polyethene foam, "virgin" meaning not recycled, but pure). When you buy recycled foam, you are not guaranteed that it is pure and will not degrade over time. We wrapped each negative in foam and had at least ½ inch of foam between each one. We lined the boxes with bubble wrap, top, sides and bottom, and the inside of the lid.. Not a single one was broken. Be sure and label your boxes "FRAGILE" and "DO NOT TIP". For permanent storage, I made custom phase boxes for the negatives, stored in a box of cotton wadding with bubble wrap lining the sides, bottom and top. In your case, Light Impressions has several kinds of oversized boxes (both grey/white and lignin-free) that would hold these glass albums. Be sure and put spacers in the boxes to make sure that the albums do not shift around when the box is handled. For other workers and volunteers, it would probably be a good idea to mark each side of the box with "FRAGILE: DO NOT TIP. HOLD BOX LEVEL" or something like that. Good luck.

Steve Hoza, Conservator
Arizona Historical Society
>>> Roberta Sago <rsago@LIBR.UTEP.EDU> 09/27/00 12:02PM >>>
Can anyone offer advice on packing for transporting (across town) and
storage of Glass Audio Albums.  Some are about 12" in diameter and others
are about 18".  We will be receiving a donation of audio and print materials
from a local radio station, which is currently in the custody of a third
party.  The donation includes the player as well as the albums and other
items.  Reasoning tells me that like glass plate negatives, the albums
should be stored upright, not flat, but they are terribly large.  Do I have
other options?  Also, is bubble wrap adequate to pack them in to bring them
across town, actually the trip is probably less than three miles, but who
trusts the suspension, or anything for that matter on a University van.
Should they be wrapped individually?    They are currently stacked in small
piles which total about  4'. So that could get quite voluminous.  If I put
paper or something between them to cushion them and wrap several together? I
am sure that application of common sense would bring me to a solution.  But
this is a high profile transaction and so I have to be doubly, absolutely,
positively, sure.  So I would greatly appreciate any advice.  Thanks!!!!

Roberta (Bobbi) Sago
Manuscript Librarian/Archivist
Special Collections Department
University Library