Re: Remote Storage

I would definitely only send fully processed collections off-site, to start---except for those heavily used. If this is done, your existing access tools could be used--as a transmittal sheet for the storage company-which would apply identifying information (barcode/box).

"Out of sight, out of mind" definitely applies, so don't send that unprocessed material off unless absolutely necessary. Ands it costs to get it back.

Matthew Gilmore

  Peter Kurilecz <PAKURILECZ@AOL.COM> wrote:

Jane wrote:
<institutional history and donated manuscript collections, but not rare
books. There is discussion of removing some material to "remote storage."
Could other institutions who have utilized remote storage for these kinds
of material please give a little advise on how the decision was made as to
what should be in the remote location, how detailed a finding aid there had
to be to what was stored there, how frequently the materials had to be
accessed and by whom, what kind of facilities (e.g., xerox machine) there
were in the remote area, etc. Would it be most appropriate to store the
unprocessed College material there? Given the time it takes to process
some material, I am afraid that the latter arrangement will make that area
sort of a "Death Valley?">>

Do You Yahoo!?