Remote storage

All the books in my Special Collections department were moved to a
remote storage facility over a year ago.  It has taken that much time (&
probably more) to right the wrongs of the move as books were damaged or
in many instances not enough space was left for books to be shelved.
Thus, to add insult to injury, I then got to rearrange and shift the
professionally moved books.

It is a hassle to have the books off-site.  My department only goes out
to remote storage once a week. The wear and tear on the books during the
trips back and forth are reason enough not to move such items off-site.
And, I could go into the problems when the wrong book is pulled (despite
everything), and the difficulties of trying to maintain collections
off-site when all your tools and supplies are still on campus.  Then,
there's always the fun of being the only one in the warehouse, oh, I
could go on, but I'll stop complaining at this point.

In my humble opinion, put your unprocessed materials off-site.

Beth Turcy Kilmarx
Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Special Collections
Binghamton University