Re: RAIN 09/29: Dumpster Diving

Thanks to Peter for some very interesting little tidbits this week;
the one about the French photographs and Ned Kelly especially
fascinating.  In the midst of a frantic week (with the prospect of a
couple more such weeks coming; my Archival Career Goal just
now is to last until Oct. 14 with my sanity and sunny dispostion
intact), the RAIN was a welcome diversion.

A couple of them reminded me of incidents in my own
library/archival career; the one about tossing books into a
dumpster.  At the dawn of my time at the Marriott Library, back
when Carter was President, and when my job description included
"other duties as assigned," which it still does, only now I don't have
to scrap pigeon poop off the plaza entrance, we were told to take a
bunch of big bound indexes of some sort and toss them into the
dumpster, which was right by the other main entrance.  We really
did get a look of odd looks from people coming into the library, as
we tossed box after box of these big green books into the trash.

That wasn't as bad as the time we were told to throw away a big
piece of thick glass, so rather than walk it down the stairs and toss
it safely into the dumpster, I talked the building manager into
dropping it off the second level.  The glass caught air, sideslipped,
and hit the edge of the dumpster with an effect like an anti-
personnel bomb; luckily it was morning and there were no
casualties, although we were out there picking up shrapnel for the
rest of the morning.

Friday at last, Friday at last.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist