Self-storage

All this mausoleum talk has reminded me of last weekend's _Prairie Home
Companion_ show. There was an advertisement for a "self-storage" company;
the announcer led up to the pitch by asking if listeners were
frustrated, stressed out, depressed, having trouble with
job/family/pet/car/dwelling, etc.  Perhaps the answer is to drop out of
life for a month. (I won't say "go underground.")

Check into Self-Storage, follow the instructions of the
soft-voiced assistant to select a shelf, crawl onto it, and shut the
chamber door; she'll come back to get you in four weeks.  You'll be
relaxed, at peace, and ready to face the world again.

Perhaps a mausoleum-owning, entrepreneurial archivist could bulk up the
petty cash by renting out shelves. We could then start a thread on the
listserv about what fees we charge for this service, insurance and legal
considerations, and whether it's ethical for us to take advantage of our
own services.

Nancy Boothe
Rice University Archivist

"The grave's a fine and private place, but none I think do there embrace."
(Andrew Marvell????)