Obscure artists

   I am currently an intern under Laura Thayer, the Currator of Collections
at the Cheney Cowles Museum located in Spokane, Washington.  One of my
projects is to research about three dozen paintings in our collection that
are virtually unknown, before deciding whether or not to keep them in our
museum.  I am almost finished with this project except that there are still
a few artists on which I can find no information.
I am suspecting they are probably local artists of the Pacific Northwest,
British Columbia and California.  If anyone has any information on the
following artists, I would greatly appreciate your help.

   I have an oil on masonite by a painter named E.C. Kraus with the
inscription "Desert Mountain- California E.C. Kraus, artist" on the back.  I
have an oil on canvas of a wooded landscape with mountains by a T. Welch I
am suspecting is Thaddeus Welch of Santa Barbara, CA, but was not sure if
there was another T. Welch.  There is a very poor condition Madonna and
Child painting by an artist who simply signed the painting J.J.& P., and
this makes it difficult to research when I only have initials.  There are
three Native American Indian scenes by artists
J. Jackson, Hoener, and Greg. Huret. P. (?).  There is a painting here of a
glacial mountain landscape by an artist named Cogswell I believe to be Barry
Cogswell of British Columbia, but I can find no information on him.  I know
there is also a William Cogswell, but I don't know his genre or style of
painting.  The last artist is an M. Heritage, and there is an inscription on
the back that says "Silver Lake, Oregon  M.Heritage, 1884".

Any information including artist biographies, auction records, or museums
who deal with these artists would be greatly appreciated.  No amount of
internet research has given me any other clues to these obscure artists.  I
have emailed some museums in California, Portland, Oregon and B.C., but have
not yet recieved any responses.
Your time and energy is greatly appreciated.

Lauren Otterbein
Intern of Collections
Cheney Cowles Museum
Spokane, Washington