Re: Obscure artists

I doubt that William Cogswell is your guy.  He was primarily a portraitist,
gaining some minor repute for his portraits of some Washington, D.C.
politicos and of the king and queen of Hawaii -- although he did live in
California in the 1850s?, and again in the later 1800s until his death
(shortly after the turn of the century, I believe) -- so he might have
gotten into some landscape painting.

In support of this assumption, the National Gallery of Art website
(http://www.nga.gov) shows no works by him.  The National Portrait Gallery
website (http://www.npg.si.edu) shows 93 "research records" -- portraits by
him owned by various repositories.  Neither shows a B. Cogswell.

(Should you happen across info. about William, I would appreciate your
passing it along.  He was my great-great-grandmother's second husband.)

Lydia Lucas
Acting Head, Processing Department
Minnesota Historical Society
245 Kellogg Boulevard West