From: Boles, Jan [mailto:JBoles@ALBERTSON.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:43 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: College Group Photos

10-5-2000

(Please forgive cross postings)

The recent thread (on the Archives list) on early yearbooks and halftone
reproduction of photographs coincided with a project at our archives
involving group photographs. I have recently catalogued panoramic student
body photos made annually from 1912 to 1936. These pictures, made with a
Cirkut camera by our school's president and founder, Dr. William Judson
Boone (1860-1936), depict the entire student body. The pictures range in
width from 30" to 62" (all are printed on 6" paper); the number of persons
depicted range from less than 100 (1912) to more than 300 in the 1930s.

Because of the extreme format, very few of these panoramas were ever
included in the college annual (or any other publication, for that matter).
Now that I have the sequence matted (until recently most were coiled and
nearly impossible to view), it occurs to me that such a collection may be
quite rare.

So, my question is: are any list frequenters aware of  comparable sequences
of entire student bodies or other large groups? I am curious about not only
panoramas but conventional formats as well.

Any responses will be appreciated.

Jan Boles, Archivist
The Robert E. Smylie Archives
Albertson College of Idaho