Re: mold on books

Hello!

I would like to emphasize that anyone who comes across moldy books and documents should exercise a little caution.  Using a dust mask when working with moldy items is a really, really good idea.  Molds can be a real problem for people with allergies and asthma, and one genus, Stachybotyris, can cause severe lung inflammation.

When fresh, Stachybotyris atra, the most common of the dangerous molds, appears slimy and black with a white margin at the edges.  When dry, it looks like black soot.  Unfortunately for the archival profession, Stachybotyris loves wet cellulose.  It was found within a branch of the New York Public Library this summer, and my institution recently discovered it on some records that we had slated for accession.

It is my understanding (and bear in mind that I am not a mycologist or health care provider!) that brief and sporadic exposure to mold typically has little lasting effect upon one's health.  Problems increase with sustained exposure.  However, we may want to exercise caution.  Dust masks, annoying as they are, are inexpensive and should be used when dealing with the occasional moldy item.  Surgical gloves come in handy, too, particularly if you're working with items that are still wet and slimy.

If you suspect that you have run into Stachybotyris or encounter a widespread mold problem (i.e., a basement filled with moldy fixtures, walls, and records), your state or local health department may be able to test air quality (if the mold is growing on walls, etc.) and identify the molds.  A dust mask and gloves probably will not suffice.  One of my colleagues is allowed to work with mold problems of this nature, but she had to be examined by a physician specializing in environmental medicine, secure a custom-made respirator, and obtain a Tyvek suit to prevent contamination of her clothes and skin.  Other institutions may prefer to have specialized firms cope with big mold problems.

I don't want to sound alarmist.  Most of us will walk away none the worse for running into a little mold every now and then, but we do need to be mindful of the potential risks.

Bonita L. Weddle
Documentary Heritage Services
New York State Archives
9C71 Cultural Education Center