Re: mold on books

Andris (and anyone else interested) ... when I conduct preservation
workshops for the parishes in my diocese, I include the following in their
packets.  Hope it helps:

Lynne F. Wohleber. Archivist
Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
325 Oliver Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-281-4928 x138
FAX 412-471-5591
wohleber@pgh.anglican.org

        HINTS FROM THE DIOCESAN ARCHIVES

        REMOVING MOLD FROM BOOKS

Mold and mildew are interchangeable terms for fungi.  They can never be
killed and can remain dormant for many years.  Spores are always present in
the air and will grow when the environment is warm and humid.   Freezing
will inhibit the growth of mold and is recommended if time does not permit
immediate treatment.

        1.      Mold can develop within 48 to 72 hours in an environment
where the temperature is over 75o F and the relative humidity is over 60%.

        2.      Separate the affected materials to prevent spreading.

        3.      Keep the air circulating in the room

        4.      Mold is easier to remove when it is dry.  Vacuum or brush it
off and remove the spores from the area.

May 3, 1993     --from Basic Guidelines for Disaster Planning in Oklahoma,
p.22