RAIN 10/16: "My papers? I don't have any papers."

St. Paul Pioneer Planet 10/15/99
Monorail Records Missing
Zoo Officials can't explain 9-day and 15-month gaps
http://www.pioneerplanet.com/news/mtc_docs/034869.htm

by Tammy J. Oseid
Three sets of maintenance records that could detail problems with the
Minnesota Zoo's monorail have disappeared, raising questions about
continuing safety problems.
A different set of logs -- this one kept by monorail drivers -- shows the
drivers had concerns about problems similar to those being blamed for
causing two trains to collide at the zoo last june, which left one person
paralyzed.
The missing maintenance records are of concern for a couple of reasons.
Without the maintenance records, legal experts say the zoo may be unable to
adequately defend itself in any lawsuits that arise from the collision. It
also raises questions about the condition and safety of the monorail.

Topeka Capital Journal 10/15/00
Historical society programs to focus on archives collection
http://cjonline.com/stories/101500/com_histsociety.shtml

by Steve Fry
The archives and 19th-century photograph collections, including those used
by film star Kevin Costner, movie director Ang Lee and documentary film
makers Ken Burns and broadcaster Bill Kurtis, will be featured this week at
the Kansas Center for Historical Research.
Hours at the research center at the Kansas State Historical Society, 6425
S.W. 6th, will be longer, and programs about the archives collections,
photographs, researching details about houses and their earlier residents,
and how to preserve family documents will be presented on four nights. The
programs are free and open to the public.

Akron Beacon Journal 10/15/00
Cincinnati lightens the load for lawyers
Hamilton County sets up Internet filing system for attorneys who need to get
legal documents to court
http://www.ohio.com/bj/news/ohio/docs/005964.htm

Associated Press
Lawyers soon will be able to file legal documents in Hamilton County courts
without lugging boxes of paper to Cincinnati. Instead, they can send them
over the Internet with the click of a mouse.
Clerk of Courts Jim Cissell said he expects the system to be up by the first
of the year.
``(Cyberspace) is where life is going to be in the next few years,'' Cissell
said. ``It just happens that we're the first office to do it in the state of
Ohio.''
Lawyers will have to register with Cissell's office to send documents.

USNews 10/2/00
Medical Privacy
Digital doctoring poses risks to patient records
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/001002/nycu/privacy4.htm

by Dana Hawkins
Tom Butler was surprised to see a snazzy PC in the examination room during
his recent appointment at Baylor Family Medicine. The computer systems
analyst was equally impressed with how fast the physician electronically
called up his drug dosage history and tied it to his current symptoms. "The
doctor instantly came up to speed on my treatment," says Butler.
Like other online innovations, the Houston hospital's new digital record
system offers its patients greater convenience. They can schedule
appointments, get drug refills, peruse their health data, and E-mail their
doctor. Medscape, the leader in this fledgling industry, has amassed 13.4
million digital patient records. With a password, patients and doctors can
call up the information from anywhere. Hospital administrators say the
system improves efficiency </usnews/edu/beyond/grad/gbtech.htm> and helps
doctors avoid tragic errors.

Evansville Courier & Press 10/14/00
County Tax database online
http://www.courierpress.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?200010/13+taxonline101300_news.
html+20001013

by Mark Wilson
Warren Distler knew he was in for a big project when he took the job of
putting Vanderburgh County's tax records on the Internet.
"It is 120-plus megabytes of data," Distler said. "That is three times
larger than the hard drive on my first computer."
It's only going to keep growing too, said County Treasurer Jayne Berry
Bland.
On Thursday, Bland unveiled the searchable database of tax records that is
now available for public use.
Her office paid Distler's Evansville-based Webpuppies company $3,000 to
complete it.
"We have spent the last nine to 10 months trying very hard to get our entire
tax database onto the Web," she said.

Portland Press Herald 10/15/00
New Hampshire says Maine has misread border arguments
http://www.portland.com/news/state/001015meshipyard.shtml

Associated Press
CONCORD, N.H. - New Hampshire has filed a brief in U.S. Supreme Court in the
continuing battle with Maine over the location of the Portsmouth Naval
Shipyard.
The brief, filed last week, opposes Maine's motion to dismiss New
Hampshire's claim that the shipyard is in New Hampshire.
New Hampshire told the court the motion to dismiss misinterprets historical
events and misconstrues New Hampshire's argument.
The shipyard is located on an island in the middle of the Piscataqua River
that separates the two states.
New Hampshire contends its historic boundary rests along the low-water mark
on the Maine shore.

Star-Tribune 10/13/00
Hewlett-Packard buys founding garage
http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=82730814

Associated Press
PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) -- Hewlett-Packard Co. has bought the garage where
the company was founded in 1939, along with the adjoining house, for $1.7
million.
Hewlett-Packard, which recently has been featuring the garage in an ad
campaign with President and CEO Carly Fiorina, jumped at the opportunity to
buy the property from a company called

Washington Post 10/14/00
Opinion: A man with no papers
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6501-2000Oct13.html

by William Raspberry
A certain university (which I won't embarrass by naming) has made me what
should have been a highly flattering proposition. "We would like," the
spokesman for the president's office intoned, "to be the repository of your
papers."
He must have thought I was nuts when I laughed out loud.
"My papers? " I said. "I don't have any papers."

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia