SAA C & U Section

TO:             College and University Archivists on the Archives and
Archivists' Listserve

FROM:   William J. Maher

SUBJECT:        Bylaws of the C & U Section of SAA

Philip Stone and I have been appointed by the SAA C & U Section to examine
the Section Bylaws for drafting proposed revisions.  As I recall, the two
principal issues mentioned in the call for updating the bylaws were:
Should the section move to unopposed elections for the position of chair
since it is chronically difficult to develop a roster of two candidates?
And Should we change the term of the vice-chair to something longer than
two years since that person largely functions as the newsletter editor, a
task for which a longer tenure would be beneficial?  Some other topics
mentioned included the need for clarification in the effective dates for
the term of Steering Committee members.

Beyond these matters, however, as Bylaws Committee we were not charged in
the conventional fashion (i.e., rewrite the bylaws to accomplish this or
that).

By this posting to the Archives and Archivists listserve, I wish to
request all interested people to examine the current bylaws and send
comments for suggested revisions.  Further, we would be interested in your
comments on the two questions noted in the first paragraph.

The bylaws can be found in a plain text version at:
        http://library.wustl.edu/%7Eprietto/cusection/cubylaws.txt
They can be found in Adobe PDF format at:
        http://library.wustl.edu/%7Eprietto/cusection/cubylaws.pdf

Please DO NOT RESPOND TO THE A & A LIST, instead, respond to me at the
address below or to Philip Stone at:
        stonerp@wofford.edu

Thank you.

William J. Maher                        University Archivist
UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES, Room 19 Library
1408 West Gregory, Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 333-0798 FAX (217) 333-2868       E-mail:  W-MAHER@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu