Re: advice needed

It sounds like you have an interesting collection.  I agree that if you recognize that a majority of your items can not be identified it would be a good idea to solicit information from alumni and campus workers who may be able to point to leads.

 We have experienced the same dilemma so we ask retirees and long time employees for input.  This process helps us identify some but it is not a guarantee.  Also it can be a long process.

  As far as working on processing the items yourself that would depend on your job responsibilities as a whole.  Also you must consider the time frame you want to complete the processing, size of collection, and identify the demand for these items.  How does this collection tie into your other items?  You may find clues within your present collection.  Once you consider these factors you will be able to determine if you will be able to work on the project yourself or what works best with your interns work.

I used this model and discovered that even though I was unable to process the collection myself I could be involved with determining how the archives are processed, overseeing the operation, and working on special items that required more research.

Overall it is a long process but having some ideas in mind about how much you can or can not complete does help make your decisions easier.  It will also help you get the collection processed faster.

Best wishes,

Shirley Derrick, MLIS
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
PO Box 702
Milwaukee, WI  53201-0702
(414) 259-5654 phone
(414) 259-5489 fax

>>> mahalovj@MAIL.STROSE.EDU 10/17/00 10:31AM >>>
Fellow listserv members~

I am seeking advice on the following situation. When I started my job, I
inherited hundreds and hundreds of photographs, slides and negatives. I also
just received a sizable shipment of more photographs/slides/negatives from
two offices on campus. Most have little or no identification. I have a work
study student ready to input records into our database (ProCite) and have
been identifying what I can. Should I spend time or have a worker spend time
going through yearbooks, newspapers, etc. etc. looking for these images or
trying to identify the people/events/etc. in them? Should I send out a plea
for help to campus/alumni? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jean

Jean L. Root Mahalov, MA, MLS
Assistant Library Director/College Archivist
The Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
432 Western Avenue
Albany, New York  12203