Searching for Love Canal Documents

Please excuse cross-postings. This message is being forwarded to several
electronic lists.

The Niagara Falls (NY) Public Library, under a grant from the Niagara
County Environmental Fund, is seeking to locate, identify and record
original documents related to the Love Canal.

 As field archivist for this project, it is my hope that some of the
unique, uncatalogued or undocumented records may located through postings
such as this.

I have done extensive searches in OCLC, World Cat, First Search, Library
of Congress, on-line academic library catalogs and used standard search
engines, especially Google in identifying titles and resources related to
Love Canal.

The New York State Library and
the New York State Archives also are assisting with identifying records
included in state departmental records.  Much cold calling to repositories,
networking amoung professionals who worked on Love
Canal related issues, friends-of-friends, etc., also is occuring.

The goal of the project is to develop a systematic inventory and survey of
documents... including organizational and government  reports
(especially unpublished), public
information records, correspondence (public and private), photographs
(including video or film),meeting minutes, real estate transfers, court
cases, etc. As the project progresses a comprehensive public access database will
be developed for easy identification and location of records with
instructions for access and retrieval.

The Love Canal crisis was a watershed environmental event. The
 nature of the event necessitated expert assistance in a
broad arena of disciplines from law to science and medicine, education,
social services, building and transportation, etc. As the events of the
crisis unfolded, neighborhood and ecumenical
groups formed to elicit assistance from local, state and federal agencies.
However, in 1978, at the height of the first "man-made" toxic federal
emergency, many government agencies did not have policies or plans in
place to deal with such an event; remediation of such toxic chemical sites
was not yet law.

Because Love Canal records are increasingly in danger of being destroyed
or lost, and because these records are so historically important, this
project also has a conservation/preservation component.  Much
of the searching for documents occurs beyond standard
archives, historical societies, government record offices,
etc. Grey and fugitive literature is a large part of the
"paper trail" of Love Canal. This necessitates searching for records
in unlikely places (i.e., church basements, former residents private
collections and mementos, law offices, neighborhood coalitions, etc.).

If you know of any Love Canal or related documents, I would very much
appreciate hearing from you. We are not seeking to take possession of
them, although if the opportunity arises, we will make every effort to
provide for an archival repository.

 We are also interested in hearing from former
residents of the Love Canal area. If you know of a group or agency that
formed as a result of the activist model created by former Love Canal
residents, we also would be interested in hearing from you...especially if
you live or work in the Great Lakes region, including Canadian neighbors.
We also are interested in hearing from professionals (i.e., lawyers,
researchers, health care providers, social service personnel
media, including news anchors, reporters, film makers (and actors),
clergy, activists,etc.) whose careers may have been impacted by their
involvement in Love Canal.

The Niagara County Environmental Fund, whose funds support this project,
was established as part of the Love Canal settlement between New York
State and Occidental Chemical Corp. It provides grants to encourage,
inspire and facilitiate activities by volunteers, organizations and
educational institutions to enhance and restore, maintain, care for and
provide access to Niagara County's environment and ecology, as well as
educate people of all ages about the county's environment. The grant is
administered by the New York State Center for Hazardous Waste Management
at the University at Buffalo. Selected documents from The University at
Buffalo Archives extensive Love Canal collection may be viewed at
<http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/lovecanal/>

If you have any questions regarding this project, or believe you can
provide some leads...please contact me via e-mail
at: kdelaney@acsu.buffalo.edu or via the telephone/fas or postal address
below.

Thank you for your help.

Kathleen M. DeLaney, MA, MLS