Re: Storage/Compact Shelving/Urgent Move

Hi Bill,
  I can't help you with your problem because we are just starting an archives.  I would love to find out what information is sent to you.  Could you please forward it to me.  It would be most helpful as I am trying to develop a budget and decide what I need.
Thank you in advance,
Barbara

Barbara J. Attebery, MLIS, AHIP
Librarian - Collection Development
Alton Ochsner Medical Library
1516 Jefferson Highway
New Orleans, LA  70121

Ph.    (504) 842-3760
Fax    (504) 842-5339
battebery@ochsner.org
http://www.ochsner.org/library

>>> WCasari@FORBES.COM 10/17/00 02:24PM >>>
I urgently need suggestions regarding compact or other archival storage shelving.

The archives and curatorial departments have just been informed that we will be moving our offices in about 4 weeks to the administrative/executive floor.
Happily, we will have a little more space and possibly a slightly larger storage facility.  Our current room measures 12.5 X 14.5 feet (8.5 ceilings) and is shared by the
manuscript curator, archivist and Faberge curator.  We're hoping for a slightly larger room in our new location.

Please forward any suggestions regarding manufacturers like SpaceSaver or others you have found useful or easy to work with.  If possible please include contact names of sales reps you've worked with.  Our shelves would of course have to be deepter (18"?) than traditional book shelves, however, some rare books and manuscripts will be housed in the room as well.  This may be a custom installation and with this small space we want to maximize the storage available.

We have no idea of the dimensions of the new space or configuration.  We are trying our best to influence the project and get our needs meet without knowing the
parameters.

All suggestions welcome and thank you.

Bill Casari
Forbes Archivist