Ink Jet ink

For exhibit purposes we've scanned original photographs and printed them
using a good quality ink jet printer.  After only a few weeks on exhibit the
pictures had noticeably faded.

I understand the ink jet ink is not very stable.  I could use a laser
printer, but many of the exhibit items are in color.  I used glossy photo
paper designed for use in ink jet printers.

Do any of you have a suggestion on how to make the exhibit images last
longer?  I am told that a color photocopy of the printout would probably
last longer.  Any comment?

Thanks for your input.

Jim Ford
Curator & Archivist