Re: Ink Jet ink

Jim:

You're correct in that color photocopies will far outlast iunkjet prints
(which are notoriously fugitive).

Two ways to extend color photocopy exhibit items "shelf life" (and which are
good steps toward artifact/archival objects preservation anyway):

1) Get the glass fronts of your exhibit cases/cabinets covered with 99%
UV-block film. We had this done at my last employer's for about
$100.00...the company was an auto-glass film application outfit that did our
doble lobby entrance doors and the 5-foot tall exhibit case just inside that
entry for the one price...a bargain. It worked beautifully.

2) Be sure all lights (if fluorescent) are UV-block sleeved, or if
incandescent, moderate wattage, w/UV block glass shields. Avoid halogen
lights at all costs...beautiful light, but too run
too hot...

Others will probably have more info, but this 2 cents worth is from my
fairly extensive exhibits prep background...

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives