Re: Writable CD - archival quality brands?

A side note.  We also discovered that you cannot transfer data to a CD-RW
and expect it to transfer and upload to another player if it the player is
not of the same manufacturer.  This is due to how the the data is written to
a disc at certain angles.  These players are proprietary.  In essence, if
you are using an HP writer and player to record data on CD-RW, you would
also need an HP writer/player to read the data from that same disc.  Go
figure.

I was really surprised to read this.  This isn't the case with CD-Rs: I
know that a CD-R (one that can be written only once) from an HP writer can
be played on at least three other brands of player, as well as DVD
players.  I'm not sure it's actually the case with CD-RWs either.  The
problem may be that there are many CD players that simply can't play
CD-RWs, but it doesn't have anything to do with proprietary
equipment.  It's just that the older CD players (and even some recent ones)
can play CD-Rs, but not CD-RWs.

Does anyone have more information about this?  I'd consider it a very
serious issue if in fact CD writers are being designed to prevent use of
their CDs on other players.

Amy McCrory
Project Archivist
Cartoon Research Library