Re: AHC and Russell Baker

We do sell silver microfilm if we hold the negative and copyright
but we only charge what our developer charges, and this can
range from $19.95 to $24.95.   These rates do not fluctuate
between private or public agencies, whether in or out of state.

Our usage counts are based on numbers of people and
materials used.  In 1999-2000, these were 1,126 people
and 3,822 items.   These numbers are down approximately
12% from the previous year.

We attribute these declines to several factors.  (1) We are
finding too many researchers looking for information on the
Internet.   Our special collections are not in the library card
catalog and users are using the catalog without coming to
the library and assuming that if a topic or name is not listed,
the library has nothing on this person/subject.   (2) we are
finding users to be "satisfied" with what they find on the
Internet, irregardless of source.  So if the first search engine
leads them to a page by John Smith, on which is written,
Abraham Lincoln died in 1866, the researcher is accepting
this information.  We used to have researchers checking
different sources, comparing information, and verifying the
reliability of sources.   (3) Weather is a distinct possibility,
it has been a hot summer for the Southeast which limited
travel.   (4) Genealogy and research are whims, subject to
rise and fall of research interests.  I am also having difficulty
in getting researchers to plan return visits....just because
they visited you in 1996 and spent three days, they figure
you'll never have anything new on their family or topic.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338