Safe yet inexpensive photo albums?

Hi, all!  A patron has asked me if Pioneer photo albums that are marked
"Photo Safe: Acid and PVC Emission Free" are as safe for photographs as the
more traditional archival sleeves by Gaylord which she has been using for
several years.  Her thought is that the Pioneer albums are much cheaper
than "real" archival products, and that perhaps current plastic technology
may have made even off-the-shelf photo albums relatively safe for most
non-archival users.

Does anyone have any idea if this is true? I checked out Pioneers' web
site, but the information there was very general and current preservation
knowledge is not my bailiwick.

Thanks for any information you might have concerning this.

Jacqueline Haun, MSI
Archivist
The Bunn Library
P.O. Box 6128