Disposition of inactive government records survey

My position as SDIR (Scheduled Disposition of Inactive Records) Manager is
to handle surveys of various North Carolina state government agencies by
monitoring their compliance with guidelines for the disposition of their
inactive paper records. The survey is also used to demonstrate cost savings
of filing cabinets and office space saved, based on the number of linear
inches of records destroyed in-house and/or transferred to the State
Records Center.
State agencies are given 30 days to respond to the survey, and I compile a
final report based on the statistics they provide. This report is submitted
to various managers in our department, officials of the department being
surveyed, and the Governor's Office.
My question is whether any other state or local institution conducts a
similar type of survey and how does one ensure a prompt, timely response
from the agencies surveyed?
My biggest problem with some agencies is the length of time taken to return
the surveys.  There are times when I go to greater lengths to offer any
assistance necessary to have the surveys returned.
Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.