Re: IMPORTANT-CHANGE IN LISERVE OPERATION ON NOV.1

10/26/00

        As Sharon Pullen has pointed out, the assumption behind a listserv is that
a reply is worthy of being read by all subscribers, and that subsequent
replies are also worthy et cetera. The "culture" of the listserv (I am
writing here about this one and that devoted to records management, but I
suppose it may be true of others) has so evolved that certain threads are
best pursued between two subscribers. Even then, someone sometimes asks an
interesting question and asks for replies "off-list", followed by a request
by a subscriber to keep it on the list. (In the old days, before
"netiquette" decreed that flames be confined to the flamer and the flamee,
flames were also regularly sent to the entire list---life was more
interesting in those days....) I think the assumption that a reply is going
to the entire list should be maintained. Replies only to the sender are easy
enough to manage.

Ed Southern