A Photograph Copyright Question

Dear Listserv,

I have a photograph copyright question that I was hoping someone could help
me with.  I am planning on doing some exhibits for our University
Centennial which will probably be displayed several times in various
locations.  I wanted to do one exhibit on some of our former students from
the University that have won awards.  I wanted to place a one-page
biography next to their photograph and then some current information that
they send to update their biography.  I have some small, old photographs of
them that were used in our university publications that I assume I could
use without putting a "Photo Courtesy of" statement on it.  However, the
exhibit would look nicer if the winners could provide a larger, more
current photograph of themselves (preferably an 8" x 10" photograph).
However, if they supply me with their photograph, would I need to put
"Photo Courtesy of the name of that person," or would they OR I have to get
permission from the studio who took their photo and put "Photo Courtesy of
the name of the studio who took the picture."  OR, could I merely get
permission from the award winner to do what I  planned to do for the
exhibit without any photo courtesy statement at all?  Please reply to
jsalm@fhsu.edu.  Thanks.