Re: British Copyright and sheet music

At 10:28 AM 11/1/00 -0600, Stevens, Glenda wrote:
Does anyone have a clue as to how I can go about finding out if I can make
ten copies of sheet music (to be given by a patron as gifts) produced by
Reynolds and Co., Ltd. of London in 1916?

You are in luck.  While the work might still be copyrighted in the UK, in
the US we follow the principle of national treatment.  That means a foreign
work is treated for copyright purposes as if it were published in the
U.S.  As Lolly Gasaway's chart at <http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm>
shows, a work published in 1916 is in the public domain in the US.

Assuming that the work really is published, my reading of the copyright law
would indicate to me that you should be free to make as many copies as you
want.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, so you may want to confirm this with
your university's legal counsel.

Peter B. Hirtle
Co-Director                                pbh6@cornell.edu
Cornell Institute for Digital Collections     607/255-4033 (ph)
2B Kroch Library                                   607/255-9524 (fax)
Cornell University                <http://cidc.library.cornell.edu/>
Ithaca, NY  14853