Elections and Compact Shelving

Actually, reading through the few (and I say "few" because I
don't know how many of you subscribe to other lists where
election topics could generate 300-400 responses a day)
election posts was kind of fun, and I actually don't even
remember who said what.   But I couldn't remember whether
it was Gore or Bush who supported compact shelving!   My
prediction is that the winner will have four letters in his last
name and be a male.

Ms. Bugbee's response on the shelving was interesting
as I use this issue as a case example:  should archives
have a location for each box?   The answer is, yes if you
want to make use of every available space, but realize
the additional work that shifting, renovation, or moving
will entail along with the little extra work in getting materials
back to the right shelf.     I presently work with a system
where the collections are numbered accessionally
(M1999-02, M1999-03, etc.)....it has made shifting,
renovations, and moving a lot simpler as well as
faster for reshelving...but the drawback is you either
have to shift when you add to a collection....or
create a new collection.    I do know the shifting is
a little easier because we don't have to change
any "shelf locator" records.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338