Re: compact shelving and the electronic world

Hi, Peggy and fellow list members:

We use Spacesaver shelving in our shop.  We like it fine!  It was installed
by a local company.  Here are four words of advice on the subject.

1.  Get the specs from your vendor!  Our shelving system was purchased
shortly before I was hired, and installed shortly after I began work.  I
found that while we had a proposal from the vendor on file that included
several different configurations, we had no actual specifications for the
system that was purchased.  When questions arose during installation, I
applied to the vendor for a copy of the specs.  He claimed not to have any.
So make sure that your contract includes a provision that you will get two
(yes, 2) copies of the final specifications for the project.  And make sure
you have those specs in hand before installation begins.

2.  Take nothing for granted.  In our case, one set of units was built so
badly that the shelves rested at a pronounced angle rather than
horizontally.  Make sure that everything is fully installed, and meets your
expectations, before you sign off.

3.  Our moveable rows are 50' long.  It is a manual system with a capstan at
both ends of each row.  Originally, we also put a lock on both ends of each
row.  That was a mistake.  The locking mechanism is delicate, and can't
withstand much force.  Human nature presumes that conditions will be
favorable, despite all experience to the contrary.  When we knew that a row
was unlocked at This end, we consistently failed to check the lock at the
Other end.  Then, when we tried to move a row that was Unlocked at This end,
but Locked at That end, the locks broke.  So we had the locks at the far end
removed, and now can only lock and unlock the rows from the front end.  Now
we are forced to walk to the front end to check whether or not a row is
locked, instead of falling into the error of presumption.

4.  When our building was re-cabled as part of a computer system upgrade,
our department was not notified of the schedule - or the plans.  Still, we
could see that the cabling was being done.  We also knew that much-desired
cables were being installed in our storage area.  We did Not know that the
cabling crew was running the wires for the entire system all over the
ceiling of our storage area.  Nor did we find out until much too late that
in doing so, they had blithely walked across the tops of all our Spacesaver
storage units.  These units were not built to function as roads, and many of
the shelves used to cover the units were badly damaged.  If you know that
cabling is being planned, make your voice heard.  And if there is cabling
going on in your space, be sure you keep an eagle eye on it!

Best of luck with your new shelving.

Judy Robins,
Collections Supervisor,
Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology
520 N. Northwest Highway
Park Ridge, IL  60068-2573

Tel:  847-825-5586

Fax:  847-825-1692

e-mail:  j.robins@ASAHQ.org

**  The opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of
my agency. **