Nitrate negatives

I did a project with nitrate negatives about 15 years ago.  At that time we did do some research to see how others were handling their negatives.  I thought that what they did was very interesting.  Where I was, they put in a plan to store the negatives in a location with good ventilation and check the negatives once every two months.   This allows for increased circulation of air plus one can discard any problems-or at least separate them from the bulk.  One of the locations we looked at-I think it was the Illinois Historical but I cannot remember, had their negatives stored in a well ventilated, fireproof room that was separate from the main collection.  They also checked theirs on a very regular basis.  The insurance issue is an interesting and very big concern.  I would check that out.  Hope this is a help.  Note that we did copy negatives as well as two prints of each negative and stored them in different places so that if there was a problem, we would have some record.

Joan Goodbody
Lecturer
Humanities Social Sciences
Reference Services