Re: grave sites

I suggest that your researcher contact the Association for Gravestone
Studies to see if they can help.  Their contact information is on
their web site at:

http://www.gravestonestudies.org/

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Cathy Brown <cbrown@NCSL.DCR.STATE.NC.US> 11/15/00 09:39AM >>>
There is a researcher who is seeking information about grave sites
that are marked with an "X."

The verbal tradition of the "X" is that when a person died of a
contagious disease, an "X" was made on the marker for the grave site
in hopes of preventing anyone from opening the grave and disturbing
the germs, bacteria, etc.

We have two examples of person who died of typhoid fever and small
pox, and their markers do, indeed, have an "X" on them.

My researcher is seeking footnoted proof that the "X" means what the
assumption says.

Thank you for any help,

Cathy Brown

Cbrown@ncsl.dcr.state.nc.us