Archiving of electronic communications

I am seeking information about developing policy for archiving
correspondence and documents that are transmitted electronically, meaning
email, internet, faxes, and perhaps voicemail.  There seems to be a dirth
of info on this subject, yet it must be a pressing issue for most
organizations!  Although our institution is not yet considering this, those
of us in the conservation department want to go ahead and set something in
motion before we lose more documentation that may be important to future
preservation work.

I would appreciate any referrals to books, journals, websites, etc. that
address the issues involved in developing this sort of policy.  Thanks much!