Re: So you wanna talk copyright . . .

At 10:38 AM 11/15/00 -0600, Dean DeBolt wrote:
As a Board Director of an historic house, if a photograph is
taken of the house, the photographer has copyright to the photo,
however permission to use the photograph falls to the Board
because we have copyright in the likeness of the house!

No one should answer a question on this list without first doing their
homework; too often our practices are heuristic, and not based in policy,
law, or research.

I don't have time to develop a full answer now, but let me alert you that
Dean is possibly wrong on the first count in his message and dead wrong on
the second .  I will try to flesh out why (with appropriate citations)
later.  If you can't wait, you should at a minimum take a quick look at the
AAM's "A Museum Guide to Copyright and Trademark," published in 1999.

Peter Hirtle

Peter B. Hirtle
Co-Director                                pbh6@cornell.edu
Cornell Institute for Digital Collections     607/255-4033 (ph)
2B Kroch Library                                   607/255-9524 (fax)
Cornell University                <http://cidc.library.cornell.edu/>
Ithaca, NY  14853